Thursday, August 2, 2007

Back in the Gelf

I’ve been meaning to jot down something for sometime now. Anyway, now that I’m back in the desert, I have found time to do this, once again. Luckily, thanks to an expiring visa and a company that feels sorry for employees who’re stuck in the middle east for too long, I was in Bombay for a week. And, yes, I made sure that I made utmost use of each and every second I was there. Regularly indulged in inebriation and other sorts of intoxication on very very regular basis. Managed to make sure there were more than two nights when I had no clue how I came back home, and oh ya, even ensured a drunken entry into office at 4 p.m. on the last day. All the things that I was looking forward to so badly, the rain, the Bombay crowds, friends, intoxication, etc, etc, was enjoyed to the fullest.

Got back to Riyadh on Sunday morning, and needed 2 days to get used to the fact that I was back here. Damn. Life’s fallen into the same ole groove now – early morning work, lunch at the mallu restaurant, evening football and pretty much nothing else. So I was decided that this time around, I’d go around the city and have something to say about the city when people asked me about the damn place. Following along these lines, all of us headed out to Al Faisaliyah today, the second tallest tower in Riyadh. A massive construction that doesn’t look half bad, although when I found out that the shape of the building was inspired from a ball point pen I was amused.

So we walk in in our casual sort of clothes and check out some extremely rich Arabs and their extremely hot wives (or whoever), and yes, we did manage to sneak peeks through the burqahs  Anyway, it was decided to check out the restaurant at the top of the tower inside the ball (of the ball-point pen remember). The view from the top was breath-taking, obviously, and then I realize I forgot my camera at home. Damn. Kept cursing myself for a long time and then found out that dinner would come upto 5 grant per head. And that’s without any alcohol. What the hell. so we grumble and bitch a bit about the Arabs and enjoy extremely expensive gourmet French food (consisting of a pina colada with no alcohol, crab caniloni and a wagyu beef {apparently one of the softest and most tender in the world} steak) looking down on a city that was lit up quite beautifully. The most upsetting part was that I was with 7 guys and not my non-existant girlfriend. That behind us, we decided we’d be laying low on the shopping / spending front for quite sometime now. Although, I have to say, it was definitely a spectacular experience.

I have one day left during the weekend, and I cant think of exciting things to do. As you can see, the Bombay spirit’s still a bit alive inside me. Looks like I should be stuck here for another month or so. Let’s see how this works out. I’m sure even the pessimistic me can pull through this with a little help from Mr. Marlboro and the (very) occasional arrack.

No comments: